Dec 16, 2009

36 weeks and a bumpy road

I never intended to let 3 weeks pass between posts, but it seems the last few weeks have just flown by and I lost track of time. I was 36 weeks along yesterday. Below is a 36 week belly shot:

Things have gotten a bit more difficult with the pregnancy in the last couple of weeks. Besides the typical discomforts and frequent bathroom trips, my blood pressure has been running a little high and my uric acid level (an indicator of pre-eclampsia) was elevated last week. As a result, my doctors have been watching me more closely. While I haven't yet met the criteria to diagnose pre-eclampsia, they're concerned that I may be heading that direction, so they put me on bedrest. Today I went back for a check-up, and they did a biophysical profile (BPP--an ultrasound looking for certain markers of health in the baby). Everything with Isaiah was fine, so it was really nice to have that reassurance. In fact, he's measuring at the 75% at around 7lb 2oz! I'm going back next Wednesday for my 37 week check and they're going to do another BPP. While the jury is still out on definitive plans for delivery route, induction, etc, my doctor has introduced the possibility of a primary c-section and it's very likely that they'll induce/do a c-section by 39 weeks if Isaiah hasn't come on his own already. I'm certainly fine with him coming sooner than later, though I wasn't bargaining for a recovery from a c-section. We know it's in God's hands, and we'd definitely appreciate your prayers in all of this.

Since I last posted, we've traveled to both Oklahoma City and Charleston for residency interviews. I liked both programs and the interviews went smoothly, but we're pretty worn out from the traveling. We shouldn't have to make any more big trips until a few weeks after Isaiah is born. We're not making final decisions about Christmas traveling until we see how things are going at my appointment next week (last minute decision), but the farthest we'll be traveling is Middle Tennessee.

No comments: