Jun 2, 2010

Graduation and Dedication

Last week was a very exciting one in our household...

On Saturday, May 23rd, Chris threw a surprise graduation party for me at Jacob and Trish Cartner's house. I truly was surprised, especially because of the events leading up to the party... Chris and I had discussed having a get together with friends on Memorial Day to celebrate my graduation because we wanted to be able to focus on our family while they were in town during the weekend of graduation. Being the control freak that I am, I couldn't just leave it at that and let Chris handle the planning (as he requested). On the 23rd, I asked if Chris was going to send out evites for the Memorial Day get together. He said he didn't know how to send evites, so I said I'd show him. Not only did I show him, but I filled everything out for him and then let him see the end result. He asked me not to send it yet so he could look over it some more--I acquiesced at first, but when he left for an errand, I could no longer be patient and went ahead and sent it. The day before, Trish had called and asked if we wanted to come over for dinner on the 23rd. Chris got back from running his errand (supposedly helping Hunter put a bed together) right before we had to leave. When we got to the Cartners' house, Jacob walked out with a grin on his face, but I just figured he was happy to see us. When we walked in the front door, our friends were waiting there and yelled "congratulations" in unison. I was shocked to tears and deeply moved at all the trouble Chris went to to pull this off. While he was supposedly helping Hunter, he was actually running around town to pick up the food, cake, balloons, and supplies for the party to send ahead of us with Hunter. Chris thankfully had the foresight to tell everyone in his actual invitation email about the surprise party that he might have to send out a fake invite for a party on the 31st, and to ignore it. It took me a while to put all the pieces together and unravel the lies that had been told to keep the party a secret. The funny thing is that I had actually been thinking earlier that day how fun it would be if he had thrown me a surprise party, but I assumed I had spoiled any chance of that with my heavy involvement in the planning for the party on the 31st. Well, I got my wish and have my sweet husband to thank for it! Below are a few pictures from the party.






Our families came in town on Thursday, May 27 for graduation festivities. Chris and my parents accompanied me to the COM Parents' Reception that evening at the Memphis Botanic Gardens while Chris' family watched Isaiah. That night was also Lindsay's 30th birthday, which we all celebrated together later that evening with dinner at Huey's and then cake at our house. Amazingly, she blew out all 30 candles on the first try despite being 32 weeks gestation--some of them were trick candles, though, and it took cups of water and some quick work by my Dad to put them out.

Friday (May 28) morning was the College of Medicine Convocation at Mississippi Boulevard Christian Church where we were hooded. My medical school career started at this same church with the symbolic White Coat Ceremony, so it was most appropriate to finish here. Below is a picture with Tina Gupta--we became close friends during our first year in undergrad when living down the hall from each other and then were roommates during sophomore year. It's crazy that we've been down an 8 year journey together. The pictures which our families are from the morning ceremony as well. We had lunch at the Majestic Grille to celebrate, and then we walked to the FedEx Forum for the UTHSC Commencement where my degree was actually conferred and I received my diploma. Isaiah made it through both ceremonies beautifully. One day I'll be able to tell him he was there when I graduated. We finished the day off at our house with some BBQ.







Saturday we enjoyed more time with both of our families. This weekend was the first time they've all been together since we were married five years ago. I think they all enjoyed getting to know each other better, and with grandkids now in the picture, I hope they'll be seeing more of each other.






Chris' family had to leave Saturday night to break up the long trip back to Hickory. My family stayed through Sunday to attend Isaiah's dedication at church. That was a special time for Chris and I to make known our commitment to raise Isaiah in the knowledge of Christ and to seek to be godly examples for him. Our senior pastor, Dr. Travis Fleming (a new daddy himself), did a wonderful job with the dedication. The scriptures that we chose for this occasion were Isaiah 43:1b-3a and Ephesians 1:16-21. One of the main reasons we chose "Isaiah" as his name (other than liking it) was its meaning: "Yahweh (The LORD) is salvation". We hope that one day Isaiah will have a true appreciation for this meaning as he claims Jesus as Lord and Savior.




Isaiah 43: 1a-3b:
"Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. 2 When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. 3For I am the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior..."
Ephesians 1:16-21
"I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers, 17 that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him, 18 having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, 19 and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe, according to the working of his great might 20 that he worked in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places, 21 far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come."

1 comment:

Paige said...

I'm so excited for you Lesley! Congratulations on graduating...I know you're ready for the next phase of life! Love you!!!