May 3, 2009

Expanding the 'Starnes Fam'




Chris and I have been trying to get pregnant for five months, and we were THRILLED today to finally have a positive pregnancy test!! We're creating this blog so those close to us can retrospectively experience these first few exciting weeks with us once we share the news. While it's so tempting to 'shout it from the rooftop' this very second, we'd like to have our first OB visit and some assurance that our baby is okay before we emotionally involve all of you.

We're so thankful to God that He's allowed this pregnancy. We've seen many around us affected by miscarriages, so it's with that possibility in mind that we consider the future. Regardless of what happens, we trust this baby to God and His sovereignty and know He will carry us through all joys and trials.

For those of you who enjoy the details, I'll narrate a bit of our recent lives. As I said, we've been actively trying to get pregnant for five months. In my naivety, I expected to get pregnant on the first or second try and have a baby by the fall. When that didn't happen, I began to wonder if something was wrong with us. On top of that, we've felt the pressure of a limited timeline to have a baby due to the fact that I'll begin residency in June 2010. I really didn't want to start residency pregnant, and we preferred to have a child old enough for daycare by that point as well. Over time, we've simply had to surrender our desire and concerns to God and trust that His timing is perfect--much easier said than done of course.

I've lost count of how many pregnancy tests I've used in recent months. I've tended to be so anxious to know that I test earlier than I really should--when that's been negative, I waited a couple of days and tested again. One month I used a total of three tests. Needless to say, my accountant husband wanted me to refrain from testing early again because of the wasted tests in the past (and therefore wasted money).

My brother Austin has been staying with us this weekend, so I wanted to wait until we took him back home to test. On the drive home from dropping him off, we stopped at Wal-Mart and bought a 2-pack of pregnancy tests (I assumed I would need both). Chris wasn't thrilled about me doing the test today, and I admit, I had my own doubts--we made a deal that if it was negative, I'd wait another week before testing again. Glory to God!! It was positive! I couldn't believe my eyes when the second line showed up, and I stood there (shaking) at least thirty seconds thinking of how to tell Chris. In the end, I just walked in the kitchen, handed him the test and told him I wouldn't need to re-test in a week. After doing our happy dance together for a while, we settled down with the somber realization that there's no turning back and our lives will never be the same. We wouldn't go back for the world, though, and we're excited to see what the future holds!

Thanks for taking this ride with us. We look forward to sharing with you as the events of this pregnancy and our lives continue to unfold.

No comments: