May 14, 2009

reactions

Well, we decided after all to tell my family last night after the OB visit. We would have called Chris' family too, but he'll be traveling to NC this weekend for his cousin's wedding, so he'll have the opportunity to tell them in person. I knew my family would be excited, but I still felt really nervous making the first few phone calls. Just to inform my immediate family required 6 different phone calls...haha! The varying reactions I got were entertaining to me, and I'm going to make some attempt to capture them here, though I know this won't do them justice.


Mom: Mom called me before dinner to tell me something quick. She was trying to let me go when I told her I have another Mother's Day gift for her. If you knew my mom, you'd know she doesn't accept gifts all that well, though she's wonderful at giving them. She immediately said something like, "Why'd you do that?!" I told her I just wanted to but explained it wouldn't be here until January. The phone got very silent for about five seconds, and then she said in a very serious tone, "Lesley, you better tell me what you mean right now!" "I'm telling you that you're going to be a grandmother." haha....then the fireworks went off. She couldn't contain her excitement, and I'm glad. I think I expected a more subdued response, though I knew she'd be excited. It was funny how she was torn between the roles of mother and grandmother...In one breath she'd be saying things like: "I don't know how you'll manage, but I'm sure you will." "You better take care of yourself" "I sure hope you don't feel bad." In the next breath she'd say, "I wish I still had that baby crib." "I didn't think I'd get to be a grandmother for years!" It was all wonderfully sweet, and I know she'll be a great grandmother, or grandma, or gran, or nana, or mawmaw, or whatever she wants to be.

Dad: Yesterday was his birthday, so I was planning to call him for that anyway. We chatted casually for a while, and then I used the same method on him. I told him I have a birthday gift for him, but it won't be in until January 3rd. Not understanding at all, he said, "What are you doing January 3rd?" I told him I might just be in labor. Then in a very hushed, serious voice, he said, "Are you pregnant?!" "Yes, Dad!" haha... Of course he was thrilled, but his reaction was one of more silent shock and awe than my mother's outbursts. It's funny because I expected them to be the opposite of each other and what they actually were. I think Dad was also a little torn at first between a fatherly concern and a grandfather's delight. He expressed concern over what I'd do about school, but when I explained that I have months saved up that I can take off, I think he felt much better about it. He said, "I was beginning to think I wasn't ever going to have grandchildren." He kept saying, "I just wish you were here so I could hug and squeeze you." There were some tears of joy mixed in there too. Sweet Dad...I'm sorry you had to wait, but I hope it will be worth it.

Lindsay: She had the advantage of actually knowing that Chris and I were trying to get pregnant. We didn't share that with everyone because we didn't want the extra pressure, and we didn't want to deal with grandparents' disappointment if it didn't happen. I think every time I've called her over the past few months, she's suspected that I was calling to announce a pregnancy. Nevertheless, I think I actually took her by surprise this time. I was pretty direct and to the point, and told her I was calling to tell her she's going to be an aunt. If I could predict anyone's reaction well, it was Lindsay's. She wanted to know every detail, and out of character for me, I was happy to oblige. I could tell she was genuinely happy and excited for us, and that meant a lot. She put Chase on the phone as well, and besides suggesting we name the baby Chase and joking that he and Lindsay would be trying for a cousin that night (sorry, had to post it), he was very sweet and sincere in his congratulations and well wishes. I just wish we could keep you two close in Nashville, but I understand both the need and desire to move on.

Jordan: I know Jordan wasn't expecting to hear any such thing from me, but he was very excited when I told him he's going to be an uncle. I think the main thing I remember him saying is, "REALLY?!?!" Poor Meagan, his fiance, has been wanting me to pick out a style for my bridesmaid dress for two weeks, but I haven't been able to because I'll be 8 months pregnant at the wedding, but I couldn't call and tell her I'll need a maternity dress until we were ready to announce the pregnancy to the whole fam. Jordan was quick to assure me that she'll definitely understand under the circumstances. We had a fun time laughing together over the rest of the family's responses.

Jared: I had a hard time getting in touch with him. I called and left a message, but I didn't want to reveal to much in the voicemail. He hadn't called me back by 9, so I called Mom to ask where he was. He was out playing basketball with friends, but he happened to call her at the same time, so she told him he needed to call me. I'm sure he was wondering what in the world was so important he had to call that night, but I know he didn't suspect what I was about to tell him in the least. I told him he's going to be an uncle, and he was stunned by excited. Jared is a man of few words, and that proved to be true this time as well. He kept saying, "I really am excited, I just don't know what to say." He then said he was going to go tell his b'ball friends, and I had to quickly explain we're just sharing it with immediate family right now.

Austin: I was going to tell Austin when I called Mom back about Jared at 9pm last night, but he was already in bed. So, I called Mom this afternoon, and Austin was at work with her (watching cartoons in a breakroom). It's pretty tough to come between Austin and cartoons, but I didn't want to put off telling him any longer. I told him he's going to be an uncle, and he said, "What do you mean?" So I told him I'm going to have a baby, and his response was a flat "oh." I asked if he wanted to be an uncle, and he said, "Not really." haha...I didn't really expect much more than that. Austin is 10 and not too interested in babies, and I imagine it's weird to him that his sister is going to have one. I'm sure he'll adjust to the idea, and I told him it's too late to take it back anyway.

I'm sad that I won't be with Chris when he tells his family. We've predicted his parents' reactions, and I'm anxious to see if we're close at all. Hopefully Chris will remember some of the details, and then I can blog about them :)

No comments: